Saturday, June 30, 2007

Being Boring

Since the longest of time, I have been wanting to put up something from the Pet Shop Boys, but I have some reservations on people's acceptance to the band, whatever those reservations may be. Over the last few days, I have spoken to some friends and discovered that they are more receptive to it than I have initially feared.

Well, for one, I have been quite a fan of this technopop duo - Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe. The longevity of Pet Shop Boys' career is generally attributed to their ability to create melodic pop/dance music with intelligent lyrics and striking style. The duo are one of the most consistently successful duos in pop music, particularly in Europe.

Neil Tennant has consistently labelled Pet Shop Boys' music as "disco." Their music's trademark sound is a combination of pure synthesised pop, with sometimes slightly over-the-top instrumentation, contrasting with Tennant's laconic vocals, sometimes spoken-word or rap. Despite a history of implementing current musical trends from the underground (house, electro, jungle, techno etc.) into their productions, they have always maintained their own specific and defined sound. Their lyrics have been described as articulate, stylish and poetic.

The dynamic of Pet Shop Boys' image lies in the duo's public personalities — Tennant is perceived as an erudite intellectual, articulate, and verbose in speech; while Lowe, now almost always seen in his trademark attire of hat and sunglasses, appears as guarded and terse but nevertheless behaves as casual, flippant and fun-loving.

A defining element of Pet Shop Boys' style is their obsession with extended and remixed versions of their songs. As of 2006, they have been remixed by over eighty different DJs and producers. The vast array of Pet Shop Boys' remixes have made them one of the most collectible bands in the world. Collectors relish the assortment of triple-vinyl limited editions, unique artwork sleeves, and multiple compact disc singles.

Secondly, this entry is dedicated to englishrose, a friend from faraway, whom I am using as an 'excuse' to put up this Pet Shop Boys entry. Thanks pal :-) While you are lying in bed on one of those days and staring at the ceiling listening to this song, and wondering "What have I done to deserve this?" - remember that Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield also said in the same song:

"We don't have to fall apart, we dont have to fight
We don't need to go to hell and back every night
Gonna get through, baby, Im gonna get through it"

This song peak at number two in the UK charts, and at the same position on the Billboard Hot 100, to become the fourth Top Ten hit for Pet Shop Boys as well as the biggest hit of Springfield's career in the States for nothing :-)


I also wish to pay tribute to the British sitcom: Absolutely Fabulous - led by Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley. It aired from 1992-2005 and was affectionately called Ab Fab. Personally, it was the best thing that ever happened on the telly during those years - it was absolutely campy and yet absolutely fabulous!

Edina and Patsy are two immature, prosperous, but preposterous substance-abusing fashion and fad-obsessed Londoners who value fame and style over substance (unless they are controlled substances). Saffron, Edina's daughter, provides the persistently dour voice of Monsoon and Stone's super-ego. Edina and Saffy live in a house in Holland Park, with Patsy spending most of her time there as well.

The sitcom circles around Edina's constant struggle to achieve fame and success amidst the disapproval of her daughter and the constant presence of her increasingly senile mother. Much of the comedy of the show is physical, usually derived from Edina and Patsy's drunken and/or stoned states - and I wonder how it got passed the censors then. The mutual loathing that exists between Saffy and Patsy as each tries to guide Edina's behaviour also makes for many comic situations. A recurring gag found new ways for Edina to fall headfirst out of cars, windows, or down her kitchen stairs at least once every series. Many celebrities have made guest appearance on the show, which included Lulu, Naomi Campbell, Whoopi Goldberg, Christian Lacroix, Twiggy, Elton John, Jean-Paul Gautier and the glamorous list goes on...

The soundtrack was hilariously, yet tastefully done by Pet Shop Boys - and if you missed the show, listening to the song, you will know what I mean.



But, one of my favourite tracks from Pet Shop Boys is simply Being Boring. It was not particularly successful upon release, reaching only number twenty in the UK singles chart and being the first single released by the group not to get into the top ten since Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money four years previously. Despite this, Being Boring has been a regularly-played song at concerts since its release.

This song is concerned with the idea of growing up and how people's perceptions and values change as they grow older. This song is about the ideals that you have when you were young then and how they turned out, eventually.

It is a 'simpler' song with timeless appeal to it but yet evoking times gone by...

"And we were never holding back, or worried that
Time would come to an end
We were always hoping that, looking back
You could always rely on a friend

I never dreamt, that I would get to be
The creature that. I'd always meant to be
But I thought in spite of dreams
You'd be sitting somewhere here with me "

17 comments:

ghoose said...

i like this remix & of coz Surburbia

If I fall, moondust will cover me
Spaceboy, you're sleepy now
Your silhouette is so stationary
You're released, but your custody calls
And I wanna be free
Don't you wanna be free?
Do you like girls or boys?
It's confusing these days
But moondust will cover you
Cover you
So bye bye love
Yeah, bye bye love
Hallo spaceboy
This chaos is killing me
Hallo spaceboy


-David Bowie - Hallo Spaceboy (Pet Shop Boys remix) (Bowie/Eno)

TheHoopoe said...

of course!

we spoke about it ... but can't seem to put the song up, for reasons best known contained in the lyrics :)

Anonymous said...

the hoopoe,
Yes, you're right. People accept the Pet Shop Boys more so now. I used to sort of keep it to myself (in case I get laughed at), but now I don't hide it anymore. I threw away my PSB poster (in 1987 I think) in case I got caught idolising Chris and Neil. My mates used to laugh at me when I had Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly and Dean Martin in my collection years ago (and after that it was Simon and Garfunkel). But now, they appreciate that sort of music. So I get the last laugh (I get to tell them "I was there first, losers!") Thank you very much for dedicating your thread to me. That's lovely. Now I feel 'almost famous' and gone a wee bit red too :) P.S. Very grateful for the other titles from the author. Will look into it for sure. :)

TheHoopoe said...

"almost famous" englishrose,

the pleasure was all mine.

in embracing differences, we can be more free to be honest in our expression - thanks to The Almighty.

"almost famous" is a title from an american movie, btw :-)

Anonymous said...

the hoopoe,

Live Earth at Wembley is next weekend, and it's meant to be really good. I'm looking forward to Keane. Other artistes include Genesis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Corinne Bailey Raae, Bloc Party, Foo Fighters, James Blunt, Duran Duran, Damien Rice, Razorlight, Beastie Boys, Snow Patrol, Paolo Nutini, David Gray, John Legend, Black Eyed Peas. You still comin' twin bro?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I loved that film :)

TheHoopoe said...

englishrose,

I know ... we are grateful to have it beam live to Singapore. But ... it beats watching the concert live. Sadly, I wont be able to make it there...

You going bro/sis (not sure)?... If you do, can you get me something (souvenir/t-shirt etc) anything from there? I will arrange for payment.

Sigh ... but I know it will be an awesome concert...

Sigh ...

Anonymous said...

it's really "what hv i done to deserve this.." hehehe.. i was right! ;-)

TheHoopoe said...

you are indeed telepathic, dear d :-)

Anonymous said...

At last! Something on the Pet Shop Boys. About time too.

TheHoopoe said...

the visitor,

hello spaceboy!

Anonymous said...

No problems at all. :) Do you want to give me your postal address?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

How come no one watched Ab Fab??!! It was the best thing that ever happened on telly and it will remain so. Who can forget them? They are so kampung and yet so fabulous!

Anonymous said...

hey!!! i watch Ab Fab!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TheHoopoe said...

miss social worker,

I am sure you derived enjoyment from watching it as I did...