Thursday, June 21, 2007

Through The Barricades

Another defining song of the 80's by a British band known as Spandau Ballet. It has a tinge of sadness in it. Spandau Ballet was a popular English band in the 1980s. Initially inspired by a mixture of funk and synthpop, the genre-defining New Romantic group eventually mellowed into a mainstream pop act. As with their rivals Duran Duran they 'broke America', albeit briefly.

Interestingly, the band was initially called 'The Makers' in the early years, but changed their name after a friend’s (DJ Robert Elms) visit to Spandau, a borough of Berlin, the inspiration being from graffiti he saw in the lavatory of a club there.



Through The Barricades - Spandau Ballet

Mother doesn't know where love has gone,
she says it must be youth that keeps us feeling strong.

See it in her face that's turned to ice,
and when she smiles she shows the lines of sacrifice.

And now I know what they're saying as our sun begins to fade,
and we made our love on wasteland and through the barricades.

Father made my history,
he fought for what he thought would set us somehow free.

They taught me what to say in school,
I learned it off by heart but now that's torn in two.

And now I know what they're saying in the music of the parade,
and we made our love on wasteland and through the barricades.

Born on different sides of life,
but we feel the same and feel all of this strife.

So come to me when I'm asleep,
and we'll cross the line and dance upon the streets.

And now I know what they're saying as the drums begin to fade,
and we made our love on wasteland and through the barricades.

Oh, turn around and I'll be there,
well there's a scar right through my heart but I'll bare it again.

Oh, I thought we were the human race but we were just another borderline case,
and the stars reach down and tell us that there's always one escape.

Oh, I don't know where love has gone,
and in this troubled land desperation keeps us strong.

Friday's child is full of soul,
with nothing left to lose there's everything to go.

And now I know what they're saying,
it's a terrible beauty we've made.

So we make our love on wasteland and through the barricades.
And now I know what they're saying as our hearts go to their graves,
And we made our love on wasteland and through the barricades.

15 comments:

ghoose said...

i always love the line

"it's a terrible beauty we've made."

so hopelessly serene.... an oxy moron
that captures the essense of being human & falling from grace positively......

....hmmm how time flies

TheHoopoe said...

Wondered for the longest of time, even then, what this song was really talking about. Now even, I am still not too sure.

And I too, have a favourite line:

"well there's a scar right through my heart but I'll bare it again."

Anonymous said...

Whwn I was twelve, I saved every little pocket money I had, to buy this album. (and also Level 42) Such fond memories...

TheHoopoe said...

That's what songs, movies and books do to us: they capture moments of our lives and find expression through another medium which we find comfort in because we are never too confident nor comfortable to express ourselves yet, then.

Eons later, when we hear or watch or read those expressions by others through songs, movies or books, we get transported back to those memories which we thought we have locked behind and threw away the keys.

And yet, some of them re-appear for us to reminisce good times gone by ... wishing secretly that we could be there and embrace that again - but knowing well that we can't.

So, in a way, other people's mode of expression in music, movies or books finds a very personal place in our hearts and memories, until we find maturity and confidence of our own voice and avenue to express our own without "borrowing" from others.

Its development. Its evolution. But, it is our own. And that is good enough...

Anonymous said...

Well said. Yes, I used to listen to songs on my dodgy little walkman, and ponder, staring at the ceiling, thinking about the lyrics and what they actually meant (I used to take poetry almost too seriously too). There was a time when I was 11 (I had thought that it was the end of the world), and I heard the Pet Shops Boys on the radio. "What have I done to deserve this" feat. Dusty Springfield. I thought that Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe could read my mind! It was hilarious! Anyway, yes songs simply relate to the most intimate bits in us. Truly magical. I could never live without songs. Grew up with the Carpenters, Monkeys, BeeGees, Beatles, Temptations etc. Love it. It just keeps growin...

TheHoopoe said...

oh no... dont say anymore... i was either listening to these bands over the last few days or were talking to friends about putting them in this blog ... you are indeed my 'twin' far away :-)

Anonymous said...

Do put them on your blog and let me enjoy your write-up. Yes, when I reach Singapore one day, I'll look for someone who's been sharing my soul...

TheHoopoe said...

this is beginning to look like 84 charing cross road :-)

Anonymous said...

I forsee a twenty year correspondence. :) Till 2027. It was a good year, when the book came out in 1970 (one of the best years ever).

TheHoopoe said...

i was looking at forever,
or when one of us expire... :-)

Anonymous said...

:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Englishrose, what about groups like T-Rex and 10CC? Loved them...

Anonymous said...

Hi The Visitor,
Funny that you asked. Before I logged onto this blog page, I was looking into 10cc's UK tour. They're playing in Oct/Nov all around England. Splendid. Lots of my old mates will be there. An old friend of mine loved T-Rex and influenced me quite a bit as a child. It's amazing how diverse our tastes in music developed from our childhood days till now. My parents used to play all sorts from classical to rock n roll, and I'm truly grateful to them for this valuable influence...Tell me more about yourself and your likes in music. I really enjoy talking and writing about it. Thanks to the host(of this site) too, for bringing all this up. :)

Anonymous said...

the hoopoe,
You might like to know that Ashcroft is back with The Verve and they're playing in Glasgow, Blackpool and London in November. It'll be at Roundhouse arena in Camden on the 8th and 9th. Tickets are on sale from the 6th of July. So if you're seriously thinking of coming here, you should buy it early before it gets sold out.

TheHoopoe said...

Ashcroft reuniting whth The Verve - that must be a blast!

As much as this is totally enticing, my travel plans are still lucid and dependent on various other things - work for one.

Yet, this would be a good union :-)

Do check out my entry entitled: Being Boring.