So, we went to this wonderful place - a chocolate bar - and an absolute heaven for one with a weakness for chocolates - there were chocolates all over the bar and on parts of the wall - in all forms: powder, cakes, tarts, drinks, desserts, waffles, crepes - imagine anything, and it is here, in chocolate.
My plan was to come here for an appetizer before adjourning somewhere else for dinner - but we are both done without needing to have dinner. We both had only 2 things on the menu: the 'suckao' and the waffles. Let me explain what it is before you begin to conjure some vulgar thoughts in your mind.
The "suckao" is a super-highly-concentrated melted chocolate with milk drink. It comes with a special cup with a candle underneath and a metal straw-cum-spoon that was designed for preparing and drinking thick the hot chocolate made with REAL melted chocolate - therein the word "suckao" - sucking the melted cocoa with milk. Our favorite part is that because the chocolate is on the side, we get to decide how much (or little) we want to put in at one time. I had the dark chocolate and my friend the milk chocolate. When you order this, it comes with 4 things:
1. A shot of milk on top of this egg shaped contraption that has a tea light candle inside of it to keep the milk warm;
2. A small bowl with bits of real chocolate in it - chocolate to add to the milk, and you get more than you need to melt down for such a small shot;
3. A small serving of more milk - in the event you make your shot too chocolaty. Turns out you can use that to make one more shot, in case one wasn’t enough.
4. A small spoon - that looks more like a mini shovel - to insert the chocolate. Cool thing about the shovel is that it is also a straw so that you can sip your shot.
We should have just stopped there - but no... we (err... more me) had to order the special waffles along with it. It has a full waffle, dripped (and dripped and dripped) with generous chocolate and caramel. It has also 6 generous helpings of bananas topped with super-guey caramel and to jazz it up, it comes complete with coconut sorbet. Eat them all together and (ok ... imagine, if you must :)
We were on massive OVERLOAD! Within 5 seconds of having both of these, we were bound and gagged speechless - no words to describe it - we could no longer speak coherently, and then the fuzzy-headedness and giggling kicked in. It was delibitating. We were ... high on chocolates!
And as if that was not 'macho' enough, we went for a second set of dessert across the street and had that famous chocolate soufflé which I mentioned a few entries ago AND a 7-tapas set between the two of us! The tapas we had consisted of:
* banana pizza with cinnamon ice cream
* coupe cheesecake
* chocolate and caramel ice cream with hazelnut rice crispies
* coupe black forest
* raspberry panna cotta
* vanilla crème brulee
* strawberry chocolate fondue
There are many things I can say in between then and now (can I?). Suffice to say that my trainer called and promised that he will make me 'burn' all those chocolates I had tonight (argghh! - but not unless I can bribe him by treating him at this place - nah...). But most of all, both me and my friend are still awake at this un-earthly hour - still high on all those desserts we had earlier.
Help! I gotta work tomorrow morning...
(But it was worth it - every gramme of chocolate :)
And to continue my incoherence tonight, some facts about chocolates:
* The Aztecs considered chocolate an aphrodisiac and banned women from consuming it. (Ironically, chocolate is the number one food craved by women)
*Chocolate contains phenylethylamie the same chemical produced by the brain when you fall in love.
*Chocolate is an excellent source of vitamin E and a good source of phosphorous, calcium and iron.
*There is no proof that chocolate causes or aggravates acne. Nor that it causes tooth decay. In fact, there are indications that the cocoa butter in the chocolate coats the teeth and may help plaque from forming.
*Research at the University of California has found that chocolate carries high levels of chemicals known as phenolics, or antioxidants like those found in red wine, and may help lower the risk of heart disease.
That's it ... it will be a repeat overdose next week, and it proved to be good, by science :)