Saturday, June 9, 2007

Layla and Majnun

"Layla and Majnun" is an immortal love story sometimes compared to "Romeo and Juliet" though it predates Shakespeare in oral tradition by more than 1,000 years. Today, it is still one of the most popular epics of the Middle East and Central Asia.

The most popular version of this love story was penned by Nizami Ganjavi (1141-1209), who lived and died in Ganja, an ancient city in Azerbaijan.

"Whose heart would not have been filled with longing at the sight of this girl? But young Qays felt even more. He was drowned in the ocean of love before he knew there was such a thing. He had already given his heart to Layla before he understood what he was giving away... "

"Dearest heart, if I had not given my soul to you, it would have been better to give it up for good, to lose it forever. I am burning in love's fire; I am drowning in the tears of my sorrow... I am the moth that flies through the night to flutter around the candle flame. O invisible candle of my soul! Do not torture me as I encircle you! You have bewitched me, you have robbed me of my sleep, my reason, my very being."

"Every breeze that blows
brings your scent to me;

Every bird that sings
calls out your name to me;

Every dream that appears
brings your face to me;

Every glance at your face
has left its trace with me.

I am yours, I am yours,
whether near or far;

Your grief is mine, all mine,
wherever you are"

5 comments:

pwincessd said...

And to think that this classic love story has struck the chord of many. Eric Clapton, being one of them, was even inspired by it and decided to name his song "Layla" which exerienced chart success..

Undeniably, this story still has a profound effect on me =)

Time passes, but true love remains...

The life of this world is, for the most part, nothing but a succession of illusions and deceptions...

But true love is real, and the flames which fuel it burn forever, without beginning or end..

Lampu said...

True love won't come easy. I think one need to work hard to possess and then retain it. For a start.... where can I find true love? :-)

TheHoopoe said...

Perhaps ... deep within our own selves.
Then we can find it in the Almighty and in others.

Wallahu'alam.

Anonymous said...

"Let's Never Stop falling in love" From Pink martini.

Anonymous said...

Such a touching entry... :'(