Monday, May 19, 2008

The Truth About Cats And Dogs & What Happens In Vegas

"If you were trapped in Biosphere 2 for three years, who would you bring: Time Magazine's Woman of the Year or Playboy's Playmate of the Year?"

To me, there is exquisite charm in movies which allows you to leave your brains at the door - not in a negative way - but in a manner which allows you to enjoy the movie without pretentions and to just have an innocent laugh: to relax. Top on my list of movies which I abhor are wanna-be movies, and there are many out there. So, it is not surprising that I have been enjoying this genre of late.

It was a perfect screening on this super-duper hot-hot-hot, lazy, public-holiday afternoon of The Truth About Cats And Dogs. It is a 1996 film which I watched before and it was a pleasure to lay down on bed watching it again today. Wonderful, feel-good movie about the charming Ben Chaplin discovering the woman whom he loves (Janeane Garofalo) is not the woman whom he actually loves (Uma Thurman). Sounds convoluted? No... it does not pretend to be. It is a simple telling of a juvenile love story which also suggests the combative nature of male-female romantic relationships. What is there not to enjoy when the only determining factor to "come clean" with the love of their life is by his response of the quotation above (Time Magazine's Woman of the Year or Playboy's Playmate of the Year)?

Err ... I am pretty sure which one would be my choice. Hmmm ... am I? Hahahaha....

I also managed to sneak watching What Happens In Vegas last week out of a boring work function way out North. And I did it with some other (new) friends - it was fun. I never had this film on my must-watch list as I expect it to be shown on the telly soon enough, and the reviews I read so far about it were all appalling. But it was a hot and boring afternoon, and we simply wanted to have some laughs.

Set in Sin City, the story revolves around two people who discover they've gotten married following a night of debauchery, with one of them winning a huge jackpot (US$3 million) after playing the other's quarter. The unhappy pair petitioned for a divorce but the judge refused to divorce them right away: they will have to 'earn' their divorce from this sham marriage by having to stay together for the next six months. The one who does not cooperate will not get any share of the money. The newlyweds devise ever-escalating schemes to undermine each other and get their hands on the money, only to find themselves eventually falling in love with each other in the process.

I must say though that Cameron Diaz looks aged in this movie. But coming back to the point, having no (negative actually) prior expectations before I stepped into the theatre, it was a rather enjoyable afternoon ride :)


No comments: