Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lonsdale - New Boxing Gloves

I have been running 2.4km, cycle for 8km and climb 50 floors everyday for the past 5 days at the gym - and will have to continue doing so for the next week (or so - God help me!). It has been ... hell - arggh!. But dear Mr Trainer's instruction was that I need to up my cardio again after weeks of weights training. Whatever... and it does not help that I get more hungry and more often as a result.

To reduce the physical torture, I always try to be earlier at the gym at least half an hour before official training starts. Somehow, it is more manageable if I were to do it on my own. That is a really strange phenomena that both of us can't figure. For example, with him beside me looking with eagle eyes, I can never complete my 8km comfortably - I need the whole of me to complete it. So, by the time actual training starts, I am so dead beat!

Over the past few boxing sessions, I have been lamenting how the boxing gloves did not smell like my Gucci nor Kenneth Cole's cologne. Lo and behold! A pleasant surprise greeted me today when Mr Trainer came with a brand new box of Lonsdale boxing glove - exactly like the picture above. Way cool! I could practically smell the leather and it is so much more cushy and comfortable than the previous generation's gloves. There is no need to talk about taping my fingers. And by the end of the class, my fingers were not aching - although I did hit some good punches in that hour. Even the price tag was still there - and gosh ... it was really expensive! But the best thing about being a member of this gym is that it comes absolutely free for me :)

This is the description of the boxing glove:
"Professional Contest Fight Glove": - Our professional fight gloves have been re-designed to conform to the shape of your fist for maximum comfort, grip and support. We have used a softer more pliable top grade leather to provide additional comfort and durability. By combining three special selected foams we have increased metacarpel and knuckle safety without decreasing the "punch" power. A super smooth stern lining has been added to provide increased comfort and dryness for the hand. This latest fight glove has been tested and approved by champion fighters that have traditionally used "boxer's gloves" or "puncher's gloves" providing the perfect combination of power and protection.

I am convinced that I will be boxing for a long while. But for the novice who is interested, this comes with a warning (just because it still is for me): that boxing is super-tiring to the power of 10. For those who know, it is definitely more than the mere punching and the jabbing than you think it is - but it sure is super-fun :)

But till then, I need to muster all of my courage and energy (and Divine's help) to face the treadmill, the bicycle and the stairs master tomorrow. I so do...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are already the fittest (and soon to be meanest) ustad in town!

A Minah Speaks said...

haha... he's already "the meanest" in town...

Yeah, my sister says she feels super stressed when her trainer is watching her. hmmm....