Monday, March 24, 2008

You'll Never Walk Alone

After all these years of being a fan since childhood, after bearing patience with managerial changes, players, owners and a drought for the EPL title for more than 20 years since 1989-1990 season, with a heavy human heart, I am now relinquishing all my interest in my favourite English football team in the EPL.

Although I do not play soccer, I do religiously follow-up but the interest is waning from day to day. The inconsistency is always there, the attacking is blunt, the defence is unpredictable, the tactics are undesirable, they do not even play entertaining soccer anymore...

So, I have decided that it is enough. No more... they played like kids yesterday. They were totally outmanouvered and fooled by the other Reds on the pitch. I could have been easily led to believe that it was an S-League game instead. It is totally pointless.

I will give away whatever Liverpool memorabilias that I have to younger kids (nope actually, they have no young fans anymore - the old ones are there purely for sentimental reasons). I have severed my relationship with them this morning. I choose to move on... Liverpool is not a great club with great men, as they used to be.

It is wiser, for the sake of my blood pressure, to have no interest in Liverpool's development (or for being stagnant) in the league table. I will still be a supporter for them in the Championship League. I hope I will be more faithful in this.

I may live to regret this decision 10 years down the road, but for now, I will have to bite the bullet and move on.

With or without me, Liverpool will never walk alone... I am sure.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funniest entry ever.... can't stop laughing....
3-0... a bunch of spice boys I guess..

TheHoopoe said...

Hey dude,

Come on ... I am in pain here. It is not easy to do this.

Bolton was never in the running anyway for the title :P

But I'll never know: Bolton may be my next choice - but ... nah! blah...

dew embun said...

I honestly dunno whether to laugh or cry...
Definitely touched by the emotions shared but yes,FUNNY!!!

blue said...

I felt that same kind of disappointment too, time and time again.

I can only vividly remember the only ecstasy that i experienced when i 'was' still a fan, was during the Champions League. They played all the way till penalty kicks and won the title.I didn't sleep the whole night, and till the next morning.

Even when i went all the way to Liverpool to watch them played 2 matches,and one of which was a derby match, they gave me disappointment over and over again.

Now it's only left with memories of the past that's worth to linger.

Hope u can get over with the sorrows soon.

TheHoopoe said...

thanks blue ... who empathised with my pitiful plight.

i, unfortunately, have not seen them played Live - so, i guess my pain is not as unbearable as yours.

it makes me wonder now how many of US are there out there - feeling the same way... i wonder...

Anonymous said...

Can I convert you to the other side then? The other reds are better I promise!

blue said...

Will The Hoopoe run to the other side?

I hope not =) even though we might be disappointed but we won't betray what we had supported all these while.

Ustaz,you should go Liverpool and revive those sweet sweet memories.They have those museums that feature goold ol'history of Liverpool. That will reduce the pain alittle.Insya allah.I hope.

TheHoopoe said...

anonymous,

it would be blasphemous indeed for me to go to the other reds - anything but the other reds!

TheHoopoe said...

blue,
thanks. it is not the sentimental journey which i wish to take. it is fair that after 20 years, i should move on...

dew embun said...

Honestly,first time in my life I see football talk turn so emotional and passionate!
I can understand politics and sportmanship yadayadayada..but this is WAY OUT,dude!!

Hehe...

Learn something new everyday...

Anonymous said...

dew embun,

You must be living on a different planet...

(or in the words of Martin Lings in one of the Hoopoe's earlier entries - "different bubble")

:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, but the other reds are the best though!! I've loved them since I was very little. I've stayed up many a night feeling their joy and pain. They are truly a great team.... :)

TheHoopoe said...

anonymous,
i am sure you are a great fan as well. but, never ever ... the red devils.

i'll take arsenal or chelsea (god forbid!) ... anytime. there is this common mission between liverpool, arsenal and chelsea - and you know what that is :)

but you know, it wouldn't take long for the devils to go down after ferguson goes ... and that is pretty soon - even before you can say ole!

Anonymous said...

wow.. so much PASSION in here...

Anonymous said...

ah... this reminds me of when i gave up on my Hello Kitty. I started collecting the Sanrio cuties since early 80s... but gave up when all the craze went overboard now.