Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Time Spent

Was at The Coffee Bean this afternoon having coffee with some good friends after lunch. While waiting for my drinks to be made, I noticed the tray liner which I normally would not take a second look. It was an interesting tie-up with the Yellow Ribbon project. Details of it can be found on this website: http://www.yellowribbon.org.sg/

Anyway, what caught my attention was the beautiful winning poem written by a prison inmate for the Yellow Ribbon Poetry Competition. "The gift of acceptance, forgiveness and second chances can transform the lives of ex-offenders and their families."

Time Spent

It's not the nights, I have to bear
It's not the days I have to serve
By time I wait, while I am lost
It's the weight of sin I have to bear
The ones I love, but fail to serve
By time I know, I'm in a loss
These are the seals upon my heart
That's trapped within a hardened shell
Hiding a shame I'll never tell
But enters this shell, a grain of sand
Layered coatings of lessons learned
Reflections of itself back then
A new found grace, polished with faith
Patience reveals a glow within
A beautiful pearl as black as sin
In fear of thunder, there's promise of rain
For evey loss, a hidden gain
Faith and patience: remedies for pain
So to my Lord, I do repent
To my love, I'll make amends
For all my sins, my faults. Amen
To gain what's lost, when time was spent.

No comments: