Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Boxing

It was a pleasant routine departure from the normal circuit training at the gym today. Instead of hitting the weights, we did something else totally bizarre: while I was warming up at the treadmill, my trainer came over with a pair of trainer-trainee boxing gloves.

He knew I had to shelve my plans to join a muay thai class earlier this month, so being (in his own words :) the "only certified boxer/boxing trainer" at the gym, he was kind enough to teach me some boxing skills. I was absolutely elated!

He blasted some edgy music and we had the whole large mirrored aerobics room to ourselves. I learned many stuffs today: the orthodox stance, the jab, the punch, the cross, the uppercut, some footworks and a few other techniques I cannot even remember their names! There are still a lot more to learn and train and I so look forward to more boxing lessons.

I nonetheless should have known better: he would never let me off easy. So, the real killer in this training was the combo - I did a few combo circuits and guess what: I even offered him to run at the treadmill longer in exchange. Boxing is a tough cardio workout as I realised, and I was perspiring as if I just stepped out of the shower - but nonetheless, training was so much fun today! Boxing training is equally, if not more, tougher than training circuits - particularly when it was done together with a "zillion" of crunches with weights and another "zillion" push-ups. I was dead tired by the end of the session. By the end of it, the aches acquired today deluded me to think that I was actually, in my alternate fantasy world, a real life boxer. What a way to go before attending the mawlid at the mosque this evening ... hhmmph.

But, I truly love it ... and you can sense my elation by this haphazard entry.

So .... Thanks, thanks, thanks a lot, Coach! You are the best :)

No comments: