Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Wisdom of Rabia


How long will you keep pounding on an open door;
Begging for someone to open it?

***

One day, she was seen running through the streets of Basra carrying a torch in one hand and a bucket of water in the other. When asked what she was doing, she said:
"I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to God. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of God."

***

She prayed: "O Allah! If I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell,
and if I worship You in hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise.
But if I worship You for Your Own sake,
grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty.”

***

Where a part of you goes
The rest of you will follow---given time.
You call yourself a teacher:
Therefore learn.

3 comments:

Lampu said...

Salam Hoopoe...
I am no Rabia but I have always felt that the 'merit and demerit system' gets in the way of reaching true love. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Have a blessed Ramadan Ust.

Rudy Djoharnaen said...

Its not easy to reach the level of Rabia but it's not impossible also. We always move progressively. We obey due to fear, obey for reward, may one day we obey for love of the One. When i was young and naughty, mom always said "Jgn nakal-nakal, jgn bohong nanti Tuhan marah tau." or "Jgn bohong nanti Tuhan potong lidahnya" So got scared and try not to be naughtylah.

TheHoopoe said...

Ramadhan Mubarak to all...