Saturday, September 15, 2007

Friendship - Keep Holding On

Praises be to Allah, the Almighty - for giving us friends and companions. By nature, we are social creatures who are in need of them and much of our lives are spent interacting with our friends and companions.

Our beloved Prophet (saw) said: "The example of a good companion and a bad companion is like that of the seller of musk, and the one who blows the blacksmith's bellows. So as for the seller of musk then either he will grant you some, or you buy some from him, or at least you enjoy a pleasant smell from him. As for the one who blows the blacksmith's bellows then either he will burn your clothes or you will get an offensive smell from him." [Bukhari & Muslim]

Allah, the All-Wise also says: "Friends on that Day will be enemies one to another, except for the al-Muttaqoon (ie. those who have Taqwa)" [43:67]

In explaining the verse above, a story on the authority of Ali Ibn Abi Talib (ra) is instructive: "Two who are friends for Allah's sake; one of them dies and is given good news that he will be granted al-Jannah, so he remembered his friend and he supplicated for him, saying: 'O Allah, my friend used to command me to obey You and to obey Your Prophet (saw) and used to command me to do good and to forbid me from doing evil. And he told me that I will meet You. O Allah, do not let him go astray after me, until you show him what you have just shown me, until You are satisfied with him, just like You are satisfied with me.' So he is told: 'Had you known what is (written) for your friend, would you have laughed a lot and cried a little.' Then his friend dies and their souls are gathered, and both are asked to express their opinions about each other. So each one of them says to his friend: 'You were the best brother, the best companion and the best friend.' While on the other spectrum, one of the two disbelieving friends dies, and he is given tidings of Hellfire, he remembered his friend and he said: 'O Allah, my friend used to order me to disobey You and disobey Your Prophet, and commanded me to do evil, and forbade me from doing good, and told me that I would not meet You. O Allah, do not guide him after me, until you show him what you have just shown me and until you are dissatisfied with him just like You are dissatisfied with me.' Then the other disbelieving friend dies, and their souls are gathered, and both are asked to give their opinions about each other. So each one says to his friend: 'You were the worst brother, the worst companion and the worst friend."

I am writing this entry because I know that after so many years, my dear friend has "returned", and he will be reading this Blog today. In fact to me, he never did leave - we both went about Life discovering more of ourselves. The tie that binds us over these years was our faith in each other and in our journey towards Him. The "Long and Winding Road" was not as long and winding as it seems - particularly with someone whom you treat as close as your brother.

I would like to dedicate this entry to that dear brother of mine. Thank you for remembering me in your prayers, everyday, without fail. I am eternally grateful and touched by it - it was probably the reason why I survived on some of my off-days. What I have given seemed miniscule compared to this noble and sincere deed of yours.

In the profound words of the great philosopher, Plato: "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Many months ago, while sipping tea and did some 'catching-up', we shared some of our favourite songs. Then, his favourite song was by Avril Lavigne, "Keep Holding On" whereas I offered "Always On Your Side" by Sheryl Crow (a duet with Sting). I think by now you know who you are ... a Big Thank You - and enjoy our songs :)

You are, to me, truly a blessing from Allah, the Most Merciful.

Keep Holding On - Avril Lavigne




Always On Your Side - Sheryl Crow (duet with Sting)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone is listening to Avril and Sheryl/Sting. Cool.

=)

Anonymous said...

amazing.

TheHoopoe said...

haha ... there's lots more genre of music i listen to than you can imagine :-)

Anonymous said...

jazz......... jazzz...... time for some jazzzzzzz..... and I'm not talking about nora jones ah please!