Saturday, April 7, 2007

A Walk To Remember

Caught this movie on the telly yesterday night. This is one of two Nicholas Sparks' books I know that made its way to the silver screen (the other being "The Notebook"). With Mandy Moore in the lead, one may accuse me of being teeny-booperish - but I do enjoy the movie nonetheless.

It is a high-school love story between the school's prankster (Landon) and the reverend's daughter suffering from terminal leukemia (Jamie). She died within the summer. As Jamie is hospitalized, Landon fulfills various wishes on Jamie's list, such as building her a telescope so she can see a comet. Through this process, Landon and Jamie learn more about the nature of love. The movie ends with Jamie's death, but only after the couple are married in the same chapel as was Jamie's deceased mother, the event that topped Jamie's wish list. Landon himself becomes a better person through Jamie's memory, achieving the goals that he set out to do, like she did.

Four years later when Landon visits Jamie's father as an aspiring medical student, he tells him that he is sorry he could not complete all of Jamie's wishes as he couldn't show her "the miracle" she wanted to see before dying. Her father then says, "She did. It was you."

I was told by a friend that such beautiful love stories does not exist in real life. But I think that such stories gives us inspiration to make the remaining of our lifes as beautiful as it should be.

In movies, we tend to be able to say everything that we wanted to say and do all the things that we wanted to do before death, but in real life, that is almost an impossibility for most of us. It is always a case of being slightly too late.

But precisely because movies reflects life, it should provide us a lesson to hasten to say and do all that we should say and do before it becomes "slightly too late". All the "there are so many things I wanted to say to you" should be said now. If we treasure our friends, if we love our families, if we value companionships - then I say: we need to convey that now to our friends or to our family members or to our companions.
In this journey of life, we cannot be sure where it will lead us. We may or we may not be blessed with those profound feelings or companionships in the next day or the next week. We should therefore seek for closure as soon and as often as is required: hence for example, tell our friends how you appreciate and treasure their friendships. Tell them now.

Another thing that sets me thinking: how would I live the remaining of my life if I knew that I was suffering from leukemia and will soon expire to the next world? Would I have attained the state of "tranquility" to embrace that blessing? Or as Jamie said when she told Landon of her sickness: "I don't want to find a reason to blame God".

How would you live your life, if you knew?
Do drop me a note.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam,

I too watched it and found inspiration from such movies. I, however, belong to the school that "truth is stranger than fiction" and therefore, believe that even more beautiful stories are out there in real-life...
As per your question, I would live the rest of my life between suluk (as mujahadah for self), writing more and doing tarbiyyah more (as mujahadah for ad-Deen) so that, inshaAllah, what I know gets passed on for future generations who will continue with the mujahadah, praying that it will be 'amal jariyah...
Wallahu a'alam...
(I have been reading this blog silently, and can't help but comment today due to the interesting question posed)...

TheHoopoe said...

Salam,

Amin to your wish. That is indeed a beautiful manner to live and to end.

Thank you for sharing. Barakallah!

Anonymous said...

Having read this post, the song from Mike and the Mechanics (I think its called "the living years")comes to mind.

Anonymous said...

Salam,
I saw both movie you mention years ago and I aslo enjoy it, especially "The Notebook". Anyway for "A Walk To Remember", it set me thinking about the 'small' miracles that you always spoke off, to breathe, to feel, to see and so on. How we tend to take this things for granted and at times we even abuse this gifts.
There is one aspect of the movie that I didnt think much about it only recently. Its about the company, look at Landon and the friends he hang out and what happened to him when he met Jamie. His character changes for the better and it help him to realise his 'being' in this world. I could go on but I guess it would be even nicer to talk about it over mint tea ; )
InshaAllah see you tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Oh! forget to answer the question. How would I live my life, If I knew I'm going soon? I thought of this before, I'll drop off everything, without mentioning it to anyone and will travel from place to place. I'll stay at a place to work for a few weeks enough to bring me to another place. I'll make my way to mecca (Like Le' Grand Voyage) come back only to my homeland about a few months before the due time. Whether I outlive the due time or not, doesnt really matter anymore.....it will come sooner or later ; )

TheHoopoe said...

In response to castillo's entry and for the benefit of those who were born way before this song was on the airwaves, herein are the lyrics. Enjoy...

"The Living Years" - Mike & the Mechanics

Every generation
Blames the one before
And all of their frustrations
Come beating on your door

I know that I'm a prisoner
To all my father held so dear
I know that I'm a hostage
To all his hopes and fears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years

Crumpled bits of paper
Filled with imperfect thought
Stilted conversations
Im afraid that's all we've got

You say you just dont see it
He says its perfect sense
You just can't get agreement
In this present tense
We all talk a different language
Talking in defence

Say it loud, say it clear
You can listen as well as you hear
Its too late when we die
To admit we dont see eye to eye

So we open up a quarrel
Between the present and the past
We only sacrifice the future
Its the bitterness that lasts

So don't yield to the fortunes
You sometimes see as fate
It may have a new perspective
On a different day
And if you don't give up, and don't give in
You may just be o.k.

Say it loud, say it clear
You can listen as well as you hear
It's too late when we die
To admit we dont see eye to eye

I wasn't there that morning
When my father passed away
I didn't get to tell him
All the things I had to say

I think I caught his spirit
Later that same year
I'm sure I heard his echo
In my baby's new born tears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years

Say it loud, say it clear
You can listen as well as you hear
It's too late when we die
To admit we don't see eye to eye

TheHoopoe said...

art enemy,

As for your second entry, I do agree with you: it does not matter anymore by then whether you reach your destination. Besides, Islam is not about reaching there, it is about the small current steps in our journey today.

By then, we should be in a state where we are pleased with ourselves and are pleased with God.

"O soul whose heart is in (a state of) tranquility! "Come back thou to thy Lord,- well pleased (thyself), and well-pleasing unto Him! Enter thou amongst My bondmen! Enter thou My Garden!" [al-Fajar 89:27-30]

And the hadith which I mentioned in my very first entry in this blog is also relevant: "Should the Hour of the Day of Judgment arrive and you have a palm shoot in your hand, let him continue to plant it, if he can."

We just carry on, the best that we can and the best that we can be. To persevere and pursue is our task. To decide whether they are acceptable and to reward or punish is God's task. We perform our task and He will perform His. Do not confuse that... or we will indeed be very confused by our own self.

nashaislem said...

"All the "there are so many things I wanted to say to you" should be said now."

well then, i love you ustaz!!!

hehehehehehe.

Anonymous said...

A Walk To Remember is one of those what-seemed-like ordinary teen flicks that you could easily labelled as well....ordinary and boredomville kind-of-movie.

But it's just something about the line of cast and Mr Sparks' writings that my heart is completely taken by this movie. I watched it over & over again and it still plays the same tune to my heart, right up to my eyes...

I'd like to tell everyone that it's actually based on a true story. Jamie Sullivan's character, was inspired by the author's very own sister (she died at age 33 due to cancer). From her sweet character down to the much dreaded leukemia, Jamie carries it all. And guess what?

Landon Carter actually existed. Hooploe, you may want to tell your friend that such beautiful story (and beautiful hearts, I must say) do happen in real life.

Wallahu'alam.

TheHoopoe said...

Thank you Anonymous for the beautiful entry.