Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Prophet Joseph (as)

We spoke about "aspirations" in class on Tuesday. I wish to merely share 2 stories which we spoke about. There will be no commentary from me as it took us one whole class to understand this and it will not do justice to summarise our discussions in this meagre entry. And yes, thank you for the entertaining (and sometimes confusing) skits which the birds put up :-)

The first one was about an intended purchase by an old lady of Prophet Joseph (as) and the second story was about the poverty of Ibrahim Adham.

Just read and think about them ... and then, think again. Masya-Allah ... SubhanAllah!

The Old Woman Who Wanted To Buy Joseph

"When Joseph was for sale, the market-place
Teemed with Egyptians wild to see his face;
So many gathered there from dawn to dusk
The asking price was five whole tubs of musk.
An ancient crone pushed forward - in her hand
She held a few threads twisted strand by strand;
She brandished them and yelled with all her might:
"Hey, you, the seller of the Canaanite!
I'm mad with longing for this lovely child -
I've spun these threads for him, he drives me wild!
You take the threads and I'll take him away -
Don't argue now, I haven't got all day!"
The merchant laughed and said: "Come on, old girl,
It's not for you to purchase such a pearl -
His value's reckoned up in gold and jewels;
He can't be sold for threads to ancient fools!"
"Oh, I knew that before," the old crone said;
"I knew you wouldn't sell him for my thread -
But it's enough that everyone will say
'She bid for Joseph on that splendid day'" ...

What struck me in this story was really the last four lines.


The Poverty Of Ibrahim Adham

I know of one who whined inceasingly,
Complaining of his abject poverty,
Till Ibrahim Adham said: "Do you weep
Because you bought your poverty too cheap?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.

I have not reached this part of the book yet but reading the verse I can almost see the scenario enfolding and I am in awe.

The idea that these people where so blind that they gazed upon Joseph and tried to sum him up in terms of silver and gold makes me smile with amusement. If only they had known......

Thank you Ustad for another wonderful piece.

Labake

Anonymous said...

Salam,

Relating to the entry above:
I may not be worthy to own beauty, not even to bid, but may I be worthy enough to at least be given the sight to see it...

wassalam.