Monday, February 25, 2008

The English Patient

In the weeks following up to the Oscars, instead of keeping up with what has been showing on the telly, I chose to snug up to my favourite movies. And amongst them, is this absolutely wonderful movie based on the book of the same name by Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient. This movie belongs to my list of one of the best-ever!

It has wonderful cinematography where every scene is an art, aesthetically beautiful soundtrack, romantic script and most of all, the best actors in the business. My ever-favourites Ralph Fiennes (his presence, charm and diction), Kristin Scott-Thomas (ahh .... fell in love with her since Four Weddings And A Funeral - that beauty, talent and gorgeous accent), Juliette Binoche (eversince The Three Colours movies), William Dafoe, Colin Firth ... the best!

Commencing from the tagline on the cover: "In love, there are no boundaries" - the story is a heavy and emotional one. There is really no point in iterating them here. If one is not affected by it, one will surely be wrapped up in emotions by the end of the movie where Kristin was dying alone in the cave waiting for Fiennes to return to 'save' her. She wrote these last words in her diary... pages where I used to even memorised back then :)

"My darling. I'm waiting for you. How long is the day in the dark? Or a week?

The fire is gone, and I'm horribly cold. I really should drag myself outside but then there'd be the sun. I'm afraid I wasted the light on the paintings, not writing these words.

We die. We die rich with lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we've entered and swum up like rivers. Fears we've hidden in - like this wretched cave. I want all this marked on my body. Where the real countries are. Not boundaries drawn on maps with the names of powerful men.

I know you'll come and carry me out to the Palace of Winds. That's what I've wanted: to walk in such a place with you. With friends, on an earth without maps.

The lamp has gone out - and I'm writing in the darkness..."

3 comments:

Lampu said...

When in the dark, sing.....

Come on Baby Light my Fire...

The JM legacy

TheHoopoe said...

saedah,

now, that would be a different story :)

ghoose said...

sista stop it la......ha ha ha hee hee im rolling on the floor ahh ahh ahh i kill me...