Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Beyond All Reckoning

When half a thousand years and more
Had passed, and men allegiance swore
To the Arab Prophet, beneath the tree,
My willing hand was still not free
From bonds of time and space to be
Between his hands in fealty.

Such blessings missed, time was when I
Within myself would wonder why,
Half quarrelling with the book of fate
For having writ me down so late.
But now I no longer my lot
Can question, and of what was not.
No more I say: Would it had been!
For I have seen what I have seen,
And I have heard what I have heard.
So if to tears ye see me stirred,
Presume not that they spring from woe:
In thankful wonderment they flow.
Praise be to Him, the Lord, the King,
Who gives beyond all reckoning.


... Collected Poems, Martin Lings

4 comments:

blue said...

Salam Mr Hoopoe,

Your love for poems is really very deep. :)

I noticed the timings between each post you posted isn't by the day but by the hour!And this last one is 2am?Omigosh,you don't need to sleep at night?

TheHoopoe said...

salam Blue,

of course i do sleep ... it is just that during the day, one gives of oneself to others - such as work, classes, friends etc ... that on some inspired nights when i am all by myself, i was dedicating those moments for me :)

dew embun said...

This one speaks for me...
Just as the flow of emotions ran through the poem, so do my own course through me...

And I am glad my resolution is similar.

May we all serve Allah's intended Purpose for us to be born the person we are at this Time and Space. Verily, His is the best of Plans. :)

TheHoopoe said...

dew embun,

congratulations for sticking to your ground and tawakkal to Him.