Thursday, February 7, 2008

Back When We Were Grown-Ups

The last book I read during the past two days of staying at home was this wonderful book by Anne Tyler: "Back When We Were Grown-Ups". I remembered buying this book some months back as the irony of the title caught my eye. I actually moved away from the shelves but the words kept playing on my mind and made me purchase it - back when we were grown-ups? It made me wonder: what are we now - childish?

I was then introduced into the world of Anne Tyler. The concept of the story was intriguing. It is akin to contemplating your life and taking stock of life - regularly at some juncture. We do this naturally, sometimes consciously but most times, sadly not.

Rebecca Davitch loves her family, she loves her business and she loves her town but after 33 years of being dependable and entertaining, she is wondering what would have happened if she hadn’t married Joe Davitch.

When Rebecca met Joe he was exciting, a true grown-up whose wife had left him with 3 small daughters and a business organising parties in their old shambling house. Rebecca was a studious, quiet girl with a boyfriend, Will, she was to marry and a half completed history course at university. Joe swept her off her feet and into the role of instant stepmother and ever-jolly party host.

Now 54 years old, Rebecca looks back over her life. Joe died just 6 years into their marriage leaving her with the sole control of 3 stepdaughters and 1 of her own all pining for their father and the years between have not really brought them closer together. The house needs continual repair, plaster falls from the ceiling at an alarming rate, Uncle Poppy, Rebecca’s 99 year old uncle-in-law who lives on the top floor is obsessed with his forthcoming 100th birthday party and Min Foo, Rebecca and Joe’s daughter is just about to give birth to her third child from her third "exotic" marriage.

Against this backdrop Rebecca starts to wonder what would have happened if she had never met Joe and decides to contact Will, her old boyfriend, with interesting results.

"Back When We Were Grown-Ups" couldn’t have been written by anyone but Anne Tyler, who handles peoples’ thoughts and feelings with such expertise that the characters live with you for weeks after you finished the book. There are no fireworks, no murders, no strife, no scenes: just a perfect understanding of people in mid-life crisis.

Someone once said that "nothing ever happens" in Anne Tyler's novels and this is true on the base level but you will never read a more engrossing, amusing, and a poignant novel as this. "Back When We Were Grown-Ups" is a classic and a beautiful example of "nothing ever happening"!

Is it ever anyway?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, my 4 days break away from work was spent reading. I am into my 3rd book now : The Book of Saladin by Tariq Ali.

I started with Nora Ephron's - I Feel Bad About My Neck. I bet many women will be able to identify with her thoughts about growing old.

Then it was Blake Morrison's - And When Did You Last See Your Father? - Makes you want to pen down all your thoughts and feelings about your relationship with your parents. Makes you want to drop everything as spend as much time as you can with your parents. I called mine immediately after.

I always look forward to holidays like this. Too short to go anywhere; too long to be just doing nothing. It is a good time go under the blanket and read a good book.

Next time, before the next holidays, you should put up reading check list to share.

TheHoopoe said...

Hahaha... novel idea.
However, not everybody likes what I read. Secondly, I never plan what to read - it is always on impulse or what I can get my hands on...

In any case, if we all read different things and share them, wouldn't it be a more colourful experience? :)