Wednesday, May 30, 2007

To Sir With Love

Just had lunch with a primary school teacher of mine last week. Have not meet since I was a young boy and he seemed very proud to see me what I am today.

Alhamdulillah.

It is often that we forget who helped to shape and mould us to be what we are today. These kind souls have sacrificed much of themselves, way beyond the call, to ensure that we receive the proper moulding - not only in terms of our studies, but they also dispensed wise advice and became a role model for us - such a thankless task!

A friend was sharing something via email about my classes and it inspired me to write this entry. Being grateful to them requires very little from us. After all, we benefit from their teachings, their guidance and their love for us. Sure, we look at it differently when we were young, but as we mature, our emotions and mental faculties are more matured and developed to enable us to see things in this perspective.

So, THANK YOU to all my teachers who have made me the person that I am today. Without your guidance and love, I would not have been what I am.

And for my friends, go forth and look for people who have been instrumental in shaping your lives - and if nothing else, give them a big hug and a big Thank You!

I am reminded of a song based on a movie starring Sidney Poitier, To Sir With Love:

"But how do you thank someone, who has taken you from crayons to perfume?"
"What, what can I give you in return?"

To Sir With Love - Lulu

Those schoolgirl days, of telling tales and biting nails are gone,
But in my mind,
I know they will still live on and on,
But how do you thank someone, who has taken you from crayons to perfume?
It isn't easy, but I'll try,

If you wanted the sky I would write across the sky in letters,
That would soar a thousand feet high,
To Sir, with Love

The time has come,
For closing books and long last looks must end,
And as I leave,
I know that I am leaving my best friend,
A friend who taught me right from wrong,
And weak from strong,
That's a lot to learn,
What, what can I give you in return?

If you wanted the moon I would try to make a start,
But I, would rather you let me give my heart,
To Sir, with Love

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about "To Madam/Miss With Love" ? Have been waiting for a song to be written as a tribute to our female teachers =)
Anyway, love this song.. Remember singing it on stage when I was in primary school for Teachers' Day. A sad and touching one, indeed. And thanking you now for being a great teacher! =)

~D~

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this out! Just luv her voice and yes reminiscence. Great job on your blog. Keep it up!

TheHoopoe said...

Perhaps you can sing for us in our class :-)