Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I Now Walk Into The Wild...

After reading the book several times on the way from Singapore to Seattle, I finally watched the movie Into The Wild yesterday after class. I have quoted this from Lord Byron in my earlier entries, but it was how the movie began and I wish to share it here again:

"There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more" ... Lord Byron.

I know it is cliche to say that the book is way better than the movie, but this one rings the same tune. However, to be able to see the emotions of Chris on his last days embodied on the screen, are moments to behold and it relays the affect of the book to the reader. The fatalistic journey to find oneself was probably succinctly captured in the first chapter of the book through the postcard sent by Chris to Wayne:

"April 27th 1992
Greetings from Fairbanks! This is the last you shall hear from me Wayne. Arrived here 2 days ago. It was very difficult to catch rides in the Yukin Territory. But I finally got here.
Please return all mail I receive to the sender. It might be a very long time before I return South. If this adventure proves fatal and you don't ever hear from me again I want you to know that you're a great man.
I now walk into the wild..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have been intending to read the book/catch the movie ever since Sean Penn appeared on Oprah to promote the movie sometime last year. I think they even interviewed some family members. Watching that episode bought tears to the eyes.