Monday, August 23, 2010

Great Expectations


I'm not going to tell the story the way it happened. I'm going to tell it the way I remember it.

She'll only break your heart, it's a fact. And even though I warn you, even though I guarantee you that the girl will only hurt you terribly, you'll still pursue her. Ain't love grand?

The night all of my dreams came true, and like all happy endings, it was a tragedy of my own device, for I succeeded. I had cut myself loose from Joe, from the past, from the gulf, from poverty. I had invented myself. I'd done it cruelly, but I had done it. I was free! I did it! I did it! I am a wild success! I sold 'em all, all my paintings. You don't have to be embarrassed by me anymore. I'm rich! Isn't that what you wanted? Isn't it great? Aren't we happy now? Don't you understand that everything I do, I do it for you? Anything that might be special in me, is you...

Give me your hand. You know what this is? It's my heart. And it's broken. Can you feel it? I'm sorry, I'm sorry ... What have I done?

... Great Expectations

No comments: