Friday, June 19, 2009

Once In Your Life Doubt, As Far As Possible, All Things

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, you must at least once in your life doubt, as far as possible, all things."

"But immediately upon this I observed that, whilst I thus wished to think that all was false, it was absolutely necessary that I, who thus thought, should be somewhat; and as I observed that this truth, I think, therefore I am, was so certain and of such evidence that no ground of doubt, however extravagant, could be alleged by the sceptics capable of shaking it, I concluded that I might, without scruple, accept it as the first principle of the philosophy of which I was in search."

... Discourse On The Method, René Descartes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for this Descartes quote- I have heard of "I think, therefore I am"- but haven't read it in context. So this is the first principle of philosophy- it is "absolutely necessary that I, who thus thought, should be somewhat". This brings in a whole new understanding of what this means.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Baskar

TheHoopoe said...

A related post in February 08: http://thehoopoesodyssey.blogspot.com/2008/02/i-think-therefore-i-am.html