Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Into My Own

One of my wishes is that those dark trees, 
So old and firm they scarcely show the breeze, 
Were not, as ’twere, the merest mask of gloom, 
But stretched away unto the edge of doom. 

I should not be withheld but that some day
Into their vastness I should steal away, 
Fearless of ever finding open land, 
Or highway where the slow wheel pours the sand. 

I do not see why I should e’er turn back, 
Or those should not set forth upon my track
To overtake me, who should miss me here 
And long to know if still I held them dear. 

They would not find me changed from him they knew -- 
Only more sure of all I thought was true

... Robert Frost

2 comments:

Little Mudpie said...

I love how this poem ends - remember reading it on the long bus rides home from campus -

And the dead leaves lie huddled and still,
No longer blown hither and thither;
The last lone aster is gone;
The flowers of the witch-hazel wither;
The heart is still aching to seek,
But the feet question ‘Whither?’

Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?

TheHoopoe said...

Ah ... "Reluctance" by Robert Frost too.
This image was taken by me ... it sits just next to my department in school :)