Friday, September 16, 2011

Felicity


"Felicity" - one of my favorite television series back in the days - a poignant reminder of college life, and a second chance of re-living it in Boulder. And it was indeed nostalgic to see scenes all over New York again in this series. In a few year's time...

It all starts the moment shy, beautiful Felicity Porter asks Ben Covington to sign her high school yearbook. It was graduation day, he's gorgeous and she's had a four-year crush on him. Even though the two have never spoken, what he writes in her yearbook is so insightful, so perfect, it persuades Felicity to change the course of her future from Stanford to New York - a future defined by medical school and the dreams of her parents. She surreptitiously follows Ben to UNY (the fictional University of New York) and is quickly swept into a romantic triangle that brings both discovery and heartache. Felicity moved to New York to find romance but ends up finding herself.


Dear Felicity, 
(Here it goes.) I watched you for four years, always wondered what you were like, and what was going on in your mind all that time when you were so quiet, just thinking. Drawing in your notebook. I should've just asked you, but I never asked you. So now, four years later, I don't even know you. But I admire you. Well, that makes me sound crazy, but I'm okay with that. So take care of yourself. 
Love,
Ben
PS: I would've said, "Keep in touch," but unfortunately, we were never in touch.
- Ben's yearbook message to Felicity

Ben Covington: Look, I... I understand why you rather see Felicity with someone like Noel. Someone who's obviously going to make it. And probably long before, I mean, I figure out what I'm going to be doing with my life. But I always remember this one thing a teacher said, which was, all the interesting people she knew they had no idea what they were going to do with their lives when they were 20. So chances are, I'm going to turn out to be a pretty interesting guy. Look, for some reason, Felicity cares about me. And on a good day, I feel like I might become everything she sees in me. It is because of that, it is because of about a million other reasons that she means pretty much the world to me.

Sally Reardon: I've become a real believer in not defining every single thing. Seems like everytime you think you've figured out what something is, it just becomes something else.

Felicity Porter: Maybe getting over someone you’re in love with isn’t impossible. Unless, maybe you don’t actually get over it. Maybe you just learn to live with it.

Sally Reardon: The hardest part about moving forward is not looking back.

Felicity Porter: Dear Ben. This wasn’t the way it was supposed to end. But you know that. At least, I know you used to. It doesn’t seem that long ago that I thought we’d be spending the rest of our lives together. But now it’s six months later and you’re in Arizona. And I’m here in Palo Alto. And somehow it’s okay. I mean, it’s actually good. Just so you know, everyone’s doing great. Sean and Noel have, like, a real business. They’re happy. And Meghan, despite her issues, still wants to be a psychiatrist. She’ll probably be amazing at it. I’ll probably become her first client. It’s ironic how sometimes the thing you’re fighting is actually yourself. After everything, despite everything, I realized I wanted to become a doctor. Of course, my parents couldn’t be happier. But now I know, I’m not doing it for them. I’m doing it for me. Because maybe I can make a difference. So who knows, Ben, maybe we’ll both be doctors. Anyway, I know you’re busy, but, um, gimme a call or write me a letter... or send me a tape. I’d love to hear your voice. 
Love always, Felicity.


Have you seen yourself today?
Could you recognize your face?
Can you tell me what to say
Mine's lost without a trace...

How do you feel when all the diamonds have run dry?
How do you feel after bittersweet goodbye's?

Today I found my face
Floating in a puddle of grace
A porcelain doll with cracks to mend
Oh momma, I found a friend

No comments: